January 08, 2013

One is Silver and the Other Gold


Today was the first meeting of my last seminary class...in theory. It is the last class I actually need to graduate but, knowing me, it won't be the last class I actually take. 

As I mentioned a few days ago, this week's course is called Religion & 21st Century Media. Our assignment is to write a blog each day that pertains to our class discussion. 

Today, while in class, I received notification of a new post by Pastor Keith Anderson. Pr. Keith is a Lutheran pastor well known in media/tech circles. His book, co-written with Dr. Elizabeth Drescher, is titled Click2Save and I would highly recommend it for congregational study and as a resource for ministry leaders. 

I invite you to read Pr. Keith's blog for today. It tied in perfectly with the lecture today from Dr. Scott L. Thumma of Hartford Seminary [Visit www.HartfordInstitute.org for a million resources and statistics on religious trends in America]

What do you think about how we categorized generations in the church? Are we in danger of losing our current active worshippers because we are choosing to focus our ministry efforts on the generations that aren't already in the pews? In other words, will we lose older members because we're too worried about getting young adults involved? 

You can find Pr. Keith's most recent post here:
http://pastorkeithanderson.net/item/the-churchs-generational-log-jam-is-making-everybody-cranky




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?