August 20, 2012

Relgion & Media Day 1

Seminary - Round 2.

This go 'round I will be concentrating on the convergence of media and religion. Given my background in journalism and entertainment production, I am extremely excited for the opportunity to join these two areas of my life.

Class started today. The Religion & Media Keynote course, with Dr. Largen of LTSG, and Dr. Mary Hess of Luther Seminary. I have high hopes that because the class is so small, we will have excellent, fruitful discussions.

Our backgrounds vary, but much to my surprise I'm the only one not pursuing ordained parish ministry. [meaning no, I won't be a pastor!] I hope that this doesn't prove to create an atmosphere of exclusivity, as it has for me in the past. Sometimes, though not in an intentionally harmful way, professors have a habit of speaking in terms of parish ministry, or by using the phrase "as ordained leaders..." In the spirit of inclusivity they may say "as future church leaders" instead. While I appreciate this effort, it too implies a role within the church [small c] verses Church [big C]. Or, maybe, its just the unfortunate way that I hear it.

I feel ministry is everywhere. God's Church is everyone. No matter what I do in life, as a grocery store cashier, a stage builder, a lighting tech, or a non-profit communications director, I believe I am working in God's kingdom.

A few months back I started receiving a Christian financial magazine title, "Do Well." I have NO idea how I started receiving it, but I found the first two issues insightful. When I moved back to Gettysburg I didn't think it would follow. So in the mailbox today comes the newest issue. I opened it, and saw this:




Oooo media, religion, and my personal theology, right there on the first page.

To add another layer to the timely-and-accurate cake, the editor references Gettysburg -

"After the battle of Gettysburg in the Civil War, Union general George Mead telegraphed President Abraham Lincoln to inform him that his army had "driven the enemy from our soil." Legend has it that Lincoln responded, 'It's all our soil."

Let me stop now before I go into how to verify references and gain accuracy regarding a "legend."


2 comments:

  1. Awesome serendipitous confirmation...and I fully agree. I've been doing ministry since I was 16 (and first became a Christian) without an MDiv or magic hands. And while I am looking forward to ordination and pastoral ministry, I do not begrudge the (um...) 40 years of ministry without official sanction. What God blesses, God blesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jean!!! I am excited to be back at Seminary but certainly feel it is by no means necessary to do God's work.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?