August 21, 2012

Religion & Media Day 2





Dr. Hess said in class today, "Sadly we are more likely to connect our world to our film database than we are to connect to our faith database," or something like that. I know. Not the best practice of journalism ethics, but I'm disclosing my possible error so that makes it OK, right? 


This statement struck me very personally today. But let me get back to the beginning. We started by viewing this popular TV commercial,









While I can't say everyone understands the film or musical reference in this commercial, most do. Our mental catalogues of music, pop culture, and TV contain long pages full of information. Meanwhile, most of us laypeople have just one page or two of Biblical or faith based knowledge. 


I have to admit, I felt terrible. My bible knowledge proved inadequate. Eventually a text did come, but not without really struggling.

The final step in this exercise was to determine, "What is God calling me to do?"  What action is now required of me after looking theologically into this commercial's content, and into the scripture that my brain had connected to it?


Well it is, of course, complicated, but the gist is that I need to work on some familial relationships.


But how did God speak to me through this entire exercise? Through my feelings of inadequacy? What do I need to do now??


BIBLE STUDY BIBLE STUDY BIBLE STUDY.

1 comment:

  1. Got a great bible literacy resource in class today :

    http://www.enterthebible.org/

    Ch-ch-ch-check it out!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?